ARTIST CALL OUT: Maesteg Light Event installation
Awen Cultural Trust is looking for artists/collaborators to create a temporary outdoor light installation for two/three evenings at Maesteg Welfare Park, in February 2023.
Currently at initial planning and application stage, our intention is to animate the public space with light and performance to create a positive and inspiring experience for the local community. A light in the dark at a time of year that can be difficult for people.
We need you and your skills to help to make this happen. We would love to hear your ideas and expressions of interest on what you think can be achieved, to move these plans forward and turn them into reality. All you need to do is send us an email cover letter with links and examples of your work.
- The collaborator budget would be around £5k.
- Initial thoughts are for the main light installation to be placed in a wooded area, which has a central level pavement.
- There is no power in the woodlands, so generator(s) will be provided.
- Due to the nature of the space, consideration must be given to removal of equipment overnight and reinstallation the next day. Also, as this an outdoor event, please consider the safety and durability of the installation(s).
- There are also level, paved and enclosed playing fields 50-100 metres from the woodland area, where we envisage scenically lit performances to take place. A separate call out will be advertised for these performances (which could be musical, theatrical or artistic); although we're open to your suggestions for linking them to the woodland light installations.
- We will provide all event management needs, staffing and marketing; as well as working as collaborators in the design of the event.
- We're keen to bring community involvement into the experience where possible. We are organising a community project to run alongside this advertised opportunity in February 2023, called ‘Window Wanderland’. This involves people creating window displays in their own homes that light up in the evening, so people can transform their streets and feel connected with each other. We would love for these projects to be connected in some way, but this is not essential.
- Celebrating the Welsh language and supporting diversity and accessibility is of great importance to us as an organisation. If this can be included in the artwork that would be wonderful, but we are open to discussions on what could be achieved.
If you think you can help create this special light event for Maesteg, please send an email to [email protected] with some examples of your previous work and partnerships, links to your website or social media channels, and a short outline explaining your initial ideas (either in writing, by illustration and/or video).
We appreciate you may have a number of questions in response to this brief. Please feel free to email [email protected] or call on 07591 200120.
The deadline for expressions of interest is Wednesday 14 September. We look forward to hearing from you.
We're recruiting: Casual Duty Manager
2023 Elvis Festival at the Grand Pavilion
Online gallery: Wonderful Windows