Bridgend Children's Literature Festival 2024
Following the success of our inaugural Bridgend Children’s Literature Festival this year, Awen Cultural Trust is pleased to announce its return over February half term.
With theatre, live music, storytelling, author talks and much more planned across our libraries, Bryngarw Country Park and Awel-y-Mor, it will be a fun-filled event for the whole family. Events will include:
Bryngarw House and Country Park
Goose – Tailgate Theatre Productions present a new interactive musical performance for under 5’s, based on the books by Laura Wall.
Babis Bach – Due to popular demand these multi-sensory live music sessions for babies and toddlers return, inspired by the stories of Julia Donaldson.
Louby Lou – Fantastic, interactive, dramatic storytelling trails across the park to let imaginations live!
- Ian Brown – Meet the former journalist, TV writer, producer and Graffeg Publishers picture book author of Albert the Tortoise and Hug n Bug, along with a messy yeti, cuddly tortoise, T-Rex and more, to discover what makes a really good story.
- Yvonne Akeba – Join singer, rapper and spoken word poet Yvonne in the ancient and contemporary world of Wales and explore what you will be when you grow up, creating a 3D picture poem of your own.
- Alex Wharton – The award-winning writer, poet and Children’s Laureate for Wales 2023-2025 shares from his Firefly Publishers book Daydreams & Jellybeans and teaches you how to create your own poem.
- Cath Little – Meet the storyteller and author of Glamorgan Folk Tales for Children as she takes you on a magical journey through local myths and traditional tales.
- Will Millard – Join the best-selling author, jungle explorer, and BAFTA Cymru winning television presenter of the BBC series’ Hunters of the South Seas, My Year With The Tribe and Hidden Wales on a storytelling adventure through land and water, meeting extraordinary humans and animals on the way.
- Dai Woolridge – The return of the spoken word master, exploring rhythm and rhyme and brilliantly big stories - be transported to new worlds and create your own in this story making workshop.
- Tamar Eluned Williams – This award-winning storyteller will plunge you into a world of Wales’ folktales and myths, full of magic and fairy folk as you learn how to craft and tell your own stories.
- Sion Tomos Owen – A Welsh author and illustrator who has worked with Parthian and Petra Publishing, and will teach you how to draw and create your own characters for your stories, cartoons and graphic novels.
- Dominika Rau – How can we tell stories without words? A mime artist and poet who will show you that you already have everything you need to tell tall tales, with or without words in this creative writing and mime workshop.
Awel Y Mor Community Centre
- Pay what you can cinema screenings of children’s books on the big screen!